Starting an event staffing company can be a challenging but rewarding venture.
The demand for temporary staff at events is typically high and consistent, as there are many types of events that require staff, such as festivals, conferences, trade shows, and private parties. Additionally, the staffing needs for events are often well-defined, with a clear understanding of the number of staff needed, the skills and experience required, and the duration of the assignment. This can make it easier to plan and organize the staffing process.
Depending on the scope and focus of your business, it may be relatively inexpensive to start an event staffing agency. You may need to invest in equipment, supplies, and marketing materials, but you may be able to keep your initial costs low by starting small and gradually scaling up as your business grows.
Event staffing agencies have the flexibility to choose their clients and events, which can make it easier to manage your workload and schedule. You can choose to focus on specific types of events or services, and you have the freedom to turn down work that doesn’t align with your business goals.
With the right combination of hard work, dedication, and business savvy, event staffing agencies can be highly lucrative. If you’re interested in a career that offers the potential for high income, starting an event staffing agency could be a good choice.
Why you should start an event staffing agency
There are many reasons to choose event staffing as an entrepreneurial journey.
Personal passion: If you have a passion for events and enjoy helping people plan and execute memorable occasions, starting an event staffing agency could be a rewarding career choice.
Opportunity for creativity: Event staffing agencies have the opportunity to be creative in their approach to planning and executing events. This can be especially fulfilling for those who enjoy coming up with new ideas and thinking outside the box.
Potential for growth: The event industry is constantly evolving, and there is always room for new and innovative event staffing agencies to enter the market. If you’re ambitious and have a strong business sense, starting an event staffing agency could be a great opportunity to build a successful business.
Ability to make a positive impact: By helping clients plan and execute successful events, event staffing agencies can make a positive impact on people’s lives and create memorable experiences. This can be especially fulfilling for those who want to make a difference in the world.
Potential for high income: With the right combination of hard work, dedication, and business savvy, event staffing agencies can be highly lucrative. If you’re interested in a career that offers the potential for high income, starting an event staffing agency could be a good choice.
Event staffing can be a flexible and dynamic business, which may appeal to entrepreneurs who enjoy variety and adaptability. You may have the opportunity to work with a wide range of clients and events, and to tailor your services to meet the specific needs of each event.
The main challenges of starting an event staffing agency
The event staffing industry can be competitive, particularly in urban areas where there may be a large number of companies vying for business. You’ll need to differentiate yourself from your competitors in order to stand out and attract clients.
There are several ways an event staffing company can differentiate itself from its competitors, including:
- Specializing in a particular type of event or service: You could focus on a specific type of event or service, such as corporate events, weddings, or outdoor festivals, in order to differentiate yourself from competitors who may offer a more general range of services.
- Offering unique or high-end services: You could differentiate your company by offering unique or luxury services, such as artisanal cocktails, gourmet catering, or other high-end offerings that set you apart from your competitors.
- Providing excellent customer service: Providing exceptional customer service can help you stand out in a crowded market. You could focus on building strong relationships with your clients, being responsive to their needs, and going above and beyond to ensure that their events are successful.
- Building a strong brand: Creating a strong, distinctive brand can help you stand out in the marketplace. This could involve developing a clear brand message and visual identity, as well as building a strong online presence and engaging with potential clients through social media and other channels.
- Offering competitive pricing: While you don’t want to sacrifice quality or profitability, offering competitive pricing can help you win business and differentiate your company from competitors. You could consider offering promotions or discounts, or simply being transparent and upfront about your pricing.
Planning and managing event staff is essentially a variety of logistical tasks, such as coordinating with clients and venues, handling transportation and setup, and ensuring that everything runs smoothly on the day of the event.
- Plan ahead: Start planning for an event as early as possible, so you have time to handle all the logistical details and ensure that everything runs smoothly. This includes coordinating with clients and venues, arranging transportation and setup, and scheduling staff.
- Create a timeline: Develop a timeline for each event that outlines all the tasks that need to be completed, including deadlines for everything from ordering supplies to scheduling staff. This will help you stay organized and ensure that nothing falls through the cracks.
- Communicate with clients and staff: Good communication is key to successful event logistics. Make sure to keep clients informed about your plans and progress, and be responsive to any questions or concerns they may have. You should also communicate clearly with your staff, making sure they know what’s expected of them and providing them with any resources or support they need to succeed.
- Be flexible: Things don’t always go as planned, so be prepared to be flexible and adapt to changes as they arise. This could mean making last-minute changes to your timeline or adjusting your plans in response to unforeseen circumstances.
- Use technology to your advantage: There are many tools and technologies available to help event staffing companies manage logistics, such as scheduling software, project management tools, and communication platforms. By using these tools effectively, you can streamline your processes and make it easier to handle logistical tasks.
As a staffing agency, our core asset is your team members who will work at various events. Effective staff management can help ensure that your staff are well-trained, motivated, and capable of delivering high-quality service to your clients. This can help to build a strong reputation for your agency, attract new business, and retain current clients.
A thriving business will have little turnover and increase retention of your best employees. High employee turnover can be costly and disruptive to your business, as it requires time and resources to constantly hire and train new staff.
By investing in your staff through training and development, benefits, and a positive work environment, you can help to retain your top performers and reduce the need for frequent recruitment. Appropriate training and equipment will also reduce the likelihood of accidents or other incidents occurring at events, which can protect your reputation and financial stability.
The main challenges of staff management
Finding and recruiting skilled and reliable staff:
One of the main challenges of starting an event staffing company is finding and recruiting skilled and reliable staff. You will need to invest time and resources into finding and training the right people for the job.
There are several strategies that event staffing companies can use to recruit skilled and reliable staff:
- Advertise job openings: One way to find potential candidates is to advertise job openings on job boards, social media, and other platforms. This can help you reach a wider pool of candidates and attract people who are actively looking for work in the event staffing industry.
- Utilize recruitment platforms and agencies: Recruitment companies specialize in finding and placing qualified candidates in jobs. They may be able to help you find the right staff for your event staffing company.
- Ask for referrals: Another way to find skilled and reliable staff is to ask your current employees for referrals. This can be a good way to find people who are already familiar with the event staffing industry and have a track record of reliability.
Scheduling staff can be complex and time-consuming. You will need to be organized and have a system in place to ensure that events run smoothly and that staff are in the right place at the right time.
- Plan ahead: The sooner you start planning for an event, the more time you’ll have to recruit and schedule staff. This is especially important if you’re staffing a large event or if you have a lot of clients with overlapping event schedules.
- Create a roster of available staff: Maintain a list of available staff, including their skills, availability, and contact information. This will make it easier to find the right people for each event and ensure that you have a pool of qualified candidates to choose from.
- Use scheduling software: Scheduling software can be especially helpful for last-minute events, as it allows you to quickly find and schedule available staff. Many scheduling tools also have mobile apps or other features that make it easy for staff to check their schedules and confirm assignments on the go.
- Build a network of freelance or on-demand staff: In addition to maintaining a roster of full-time or part-time staff, consider building a network of freelance or on-demand staff who can fill in when you need extra help. These staff members can be especially useful for last-minute events, as they may be able to work on short notice.
- Build relationships with other staffing agencies: Partnering with other staffing agencies can be a helpful way to find additional staff for last-minute events. This can be especially useful if you specialize in a particular type of event or service, as you can refer clients to other agencies and vice versa.
How we can help
Zelos Team Management is a easy-to-use app for staffing agencies – perfect for creating a central communication and job board for both full-time and on-demand employees. We have pricing options to support agencies of all different sizes – from “free” to “enterprise”.
Sign up for a free account, or get in touch with our team for a personal consultation.